Apply for Discretionary Housing Payments or to the Council Tax Hardship Fund

You can use this application form to make a claim for discretionary assistance with your rent and/or your Council Tax.

The Council has a limited amount of money that can be used to help residents in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit who need additional help with their rent or any resident in receipt of Council Tax Support who needs additional help with their Council Tax bill.

The schemes are not part of the benefits legislation. All awards are made at the Council's discretion. To be eligible for a discretionary housing payment, you will need to show that you receive Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit and that your circumstances are exceptional.

To be eligible for the Council Tax Hardship Fund, you will need to show that you receive Council Tax Support and that your circumstances are exceptional.

Awards can range from one off payments to regular monthly payments for a period of no more than twelve months. They cannot be relied upon to solve long term shortfalls in benefit. If you require help with rent and Council Tax, you will need to make two separate applications.

Start a new application

Choose this option to start a new application. Click on the start button:

Continue with a saved form

Choose this option to continue filling out a saved application.

We are aware of an issue with forms not saving properly. If you need to save your form more than once: after each save close your browser window and then reopen it and sign in again.